WABA recently met with the NPS staff of the GW Memorial Parkway to talk about possible safety improvement on the Mt. Vernon Trail.
They had 15-20 NPS employees including the park superintendent. Those people have already been divided into four committees and came to the meeting having done a significant amount of work. The committees were: safety, education/media, design/maintenance, and partnerships.
NPS plans include
2) Improved crash reporting by the various jurisdictions that respond to crashes
3) New anti-skid surfaces for use on bridges and in wet areas
4) Trail wideneding in certain areas - as yet defined
5) A revised Environmental Assesment for realigning the trail near Ft Hunt
6) A massive public information effort on trail safety
7) Expanded Trail Patrols and an Adopt a Mile program
8) Add signs for the Potomac Heritage Trail as well as the East Coast Greenway
9) A walk through of the entire trail to identify areas where the trail can be realigned.
The committees intend to meet one more time in the next few months and the committee chairs will then draft a series of recommendations for the Superintendent.